US National Security Advisor Michael Flynn said on Wednesday that the United States had officially "warned" Iran, denouncing, in particular, a recent ballistic missile strike by Tehran, but remains evasive on another, Possible measures under consideration.
These remarks "are unfounded, repetitive and provocative," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi told IRNA on Thursday.
"It is regrettable that the US administration, instead of appreciating the Iranian nation for its relentless fight against terrorism, is helping terrorist groups in practice by repeating the same unfounded remarks and adopting inappropriate measures," added The Iranian official, without elaborating on the "terrorist groups" in question.
Among the "inappropriate measures", Ghasemi mentioned inter alia the temporary ban on the entry of nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries into the United States, including Iran, which in recent days has led to many negative reactions the world.
Donald Trump, who was interrogated Thursday in Washington by a journalist asking him if a military action against Iran had been excluded after Tehran's test of a ballistic missile on Sunday, simply replied: "Nothing is excluded."
Earlier, the US president had already attacked Iran in these morning tweets that it is customary, reaffirming, in particular, its opposition to the "disastrous" nuclear agreement reached in 2015 between Tehran and six major powers, including Which allowed the lifting of much of the international sanctions imposed on Iran in exchange for the limitation of its nuclear program.
The Pentagon has preferred to remain discreet and refused Thursday to clarify the warning addressed by the presidency to Iran, remaining silent on possible consequences for the US military device in the region.
"I am referring you to the White House for an explanation," said spokesman of the US Department of Defense Jeff Davis, who also said: "Iran has done and has done many things that worry us ".
The tension between Tehran and Washington, which broke off diplomatic relations in 1980 after the Islamic Revolution, sharply intensified after Donald Trump's inauguration on 20 January.
In addition to the anti-immigration Trump decree, there are disagreements about the future of the 2015 nuclear agreement and the Iranian ballistic missile program.
The latest missile test, recognized by the Iranian authorities as part of their "defensive" strategy, was particularly annoying in Washington.
But General Hossein Salami, number two of the Revolutionary Guards, the elite army of Iran, said on Thursday that not only would Iran pursue its policy but would even accentuate it.
"The number of missiles from Iran, warships, defense missile launchers, increases every day," said General Salami, quoted by Tasnim and ISNA agencies.
"Heaven, earth, and sea are under the control of this nation (Iran). It is not a land where a stranger can come with sinister intentions," he added Conference in Kashan (north).
By confirming that a new missile test had been carried out, the Iranian Minister of Defense, General Hossein Dehghan, assured Wednesday that he was in contradiction neither with the nuclear agreement nor with resolution 2231 of The United Nations which endorsed it.
The resolution calls on Iran "not to conduct any activities related to ballistic missiles designed to carry a nuclear warhead."
Tehran has always claimed that its missiles were not designed for this purpose.