Friday, December 9, 2016

Nigeria: An Attack Blamed On Boko Haram Killed At Least 30 Dead


Nigeria - At least thirty people were killed in a double suicide attack carried out by two women in a market in northeastern Nigeria on Friday as President Muhammadu Buhari announced this week have almost finished with the Islamist group Boko Haram.


Badare "At least thirty people were killed in explosions carried out by two female suicide bombers in a market" at busy Madagali (Adamawa State), the spokesman of the army told AFP.

"The two suicide bombers posing as clients have triggered their explosive belts," said the representative of the Municipality of Madagali Yusuf Muhammad. He also reported a high number of casualties.




This double attack was not claimed immediately but the process used is the Nigerian jihadist group Boko Haram, which has often resorted to women and girls to carry out attacks against the population.

In a report released in early December, the center analyzes International Crisis Group warned the Nigerian government on the active role of women in conflict. "Women are not only victims but also actors in this war," could be read in the report "Nigeria: Women and insurgency of Boko Haram."

After seven years of war, "the men were killed disproportionately", the report said, and the women, kidnapped or who have chosen to join the jihadist group by conviction, are regularly used as human bombs for almost two years faction group led by Abubakar Shekau.

The Organization of the Islamic State, Boko Haram who had pledged allegiance in March 2015, has appointed a new chief in early August to represent the Caliphate in West Africa, in the person Abu Mosab Al Barnaoui.

Son of the founder of the extremist Salafist sect, Al Barnaoui was entrenched with his allies to the border with Niger, from where they continue to conduct raids against the Nigerian military and security forces. He blames including Shekau his "authoritarian tendencies" and perpetrating bloody massacres against Muslim civilians.

Hard blow


The particularly deadly attack on Friday was a blow to Nigerian President Buhari, who said this week at the Summit for the safety of Dakar that "the situation (was) under control."

"(The army) has now entered the forest and Sambisa regarding the presence of Boko Haram in the Lake Chad region, I think they are finished," he declared proudly.

But the North is experiencing an upsurge in attacks in recent weeks. They are more numerous each year at the end of the rainy season but this year they seem particularly worrisome.

"The pace and effectiveness of the supply of weapons and logistical material improve greatly for several weeks," analyzes Yan St-Pierre, director of the Modern Security Consulting Group.

For the anti-terrorism consultant, this is explained by the pressure on the Islamic state in the north of Libya, in the region of Sirte, which force "a group of resource pooling in the south" to the Sahel, with a multiplication of convoys and bases in the region.

Boko Haram extremist Salafi sect transformed into the jihadist movement to the death of its founder Mohammed Yusuf, killed more than 20,000 people and 2.6 million displaced in northeast Nigeria since 2009.




Last year, the Nigerian government had already announced that the jihadist sect was "technically defeated."

"The Nigerian army, which takes an entirely military strategy for seven years, must change its approach if it wants to win this war," concluded Mr. St-Pierre.

No comments: