The custody of the manager of the tea room where the facts took place was lifted Sunday afternoon, said Xavier Tarabeux, the public prosecutor of the Republic of Marseille.
The 22-year-old had been placed in police custody for further interrogation, including who was at his facility at the time, a source close to the case said.
On Saturday evening, three assailants broke into the tea room and shot their victim with a "Kalashnikov type" weapon, according to the prosecution. The fire was fed and casings were found to the outside of the establishment. The attackers fled before the police arrived.
He was shot dead in a city affected by drug trafficking, the victim was not known to the police, said the prosecutor. The people who were seated with her were not found, and one was even "likely to have been forcibly taken away" after the incident, the magistrate added.
On Sunday morning, the investigators were not yet able to say with certainty whether the victim was killed as part of a settlement of accounts or for another motive. However, it seemed clearly targeted, and has succumbed to about fifteen bullet holes, added the source close to the file.
This young man is the 33rd person killed by a bullet in the department of the Bouches-du-Rhone since the beginning of the year 2016, according to an account of the AFP. Most of them, according to the authorities, have died in settlements linked to large-scale banditry or drug trafficking.
By 2015, the settlements had led to 19 deaths in the department - a figure that had reached 30 dead in the mid-1980s.